What is Sandwell Financial Services Hub?
Our service is
We offer practical help and support from Support Workers and volunteers to draw up and work through a Personal Action Plan that could include some or all of the following: budgeting, opening up a bank account, savings, ethical lending, purchasing white goods, switching energy providers and arranging home insurance. Support in other areas and signposting to other services will also be available.
We will support tenants living in Sandwell in council or social housing property and who are also one of the following:
Our service includes:
- One-to-One financial support in a home visit
- Access to volunteer/peer mentoring support for up to 12 months
- Financial awareness, confidence and skills development through workshops
- Opportunities for tenants to access accredited financial training and signposting to modern apprenticeships
- Financial capability support on either a group or e-learning basis in libraries or other community venues
- Training and support in financial capability work will also be provided for a wider group of agencies that give advice, information and support to local people including development of a bank of information and other resources
Are you losing out?
Here’s how Sandwell Financial Services Hub can help
Research shows that people who are unable, have difficulty or are reluctant to use mainstream financial services such as a bank account or loans usually pay more for every day living items, services such as utilities (electric, gas, water, telephone) and white goods (fridge, freezer, dishwasher, etc).
SFSH can help you to improve your knowledge so that you can;
- have access to the internet
- open a transactional bank account that will enable you to make savings
- find out about cheaper tariffs for electricity and gas
- find out about savings
- learn about cheaper loans
Who works for Sandwell Financial Services Hub?
SFSH is a team of six people, namely;
- Janice Freeman-Phillips - Co-ordinator
- Katy McAllister - Project Administrator/Researcher
- Chris Cole - Support Worker
- June Fantom - Support Worker
- Kevin Priest - Support Worker
- Laura Storey - Community Engagement and Volunteer Co-ordinator
The team will be supported by a group of volunteers.
Who manages Sandwell Financial Services Hub?
It is managed by a Programme Management Group consisting of representatives from the partners. Black Country Housing Group is the lead partner. Further information about each partner is given below.
The Accord Group
The Accord Group is one of the largest housing and social care organisations in the Midlands, providing affordable housing and health and social care to 60,000 people and employing nearly 4,200.
Black Country Housing Group
Founded in May 1974, BCHG is a community focussed housing association working in the Black Country and Birmingham. It is landlord to tenants in more than 2000 homes providing quality homes and support services for families, couples, single people, older people and those with special needs
Midland Heart owns and manages more than 32,000 homes across 54 local authority areas, providing and maintaining homes for more than 70,000 people.
Sandwell Community and Information Participation Service
Based in Oldbury, Sandwell Community and Information Participation Service was set up by local tenants over 20 years ago to provide support, training and advocate for them
Sandwell Consortium carries out activities that benefit the people of Sandwell and its environs. Its aim is to deliver quality services and to reinvest financial surpluses for community benefit to address unmet need, tackle disadvantage, advance equity and social inclusion.
Sandwell M.B.C. is the local council and provides a variety of services for its 309,000 inhabitants within its budget (2012/13) of £265.388m.
6Towns Credit Union
6Towns provides ethical financial services to everyone that live or work in Sandwell. Their services include: Current Account, Savings Account, Loans and the unique Priority Account which can help with budgeting.
How much do you spend on your favourite things?
You spend per year on this item
Save 4 Later
How much do you need to save ?
You need to save per month